Feds go after child support violators, may help New York parents

Posted By Michael R. Varble & Associates, P.C. || 24-Jan-2012

Child support is often a crucial need for parents who have sole custody of their children. Sometimes, the non-custodial parent will refuse to make child support payments, neglecting their children in the process. Families in New York who have not been receiving the child support may now be getting some help from a new federal government website.

The site is used to post pictures and information about the child support violators who owe the most money. This will hopefully lead to their arrest and eventual recovery of some of the lost payments. States bare the most responsibility in going after parents who are delinquent on child support payments, but the Office of Inspector General, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, can go after parents who neglect to pay child support in certain cases.

The conditions necessary for the federal government to step in are:

•· Child support payments are missed for more than one year

•· The non-custodial parent owes more than $5,000 and the child lives in a different state

•· The parent who owes the support flees the state or country to avoid paying

According to the OIG, the federal government has already recovered more than $33 million since 2006 and convicted more than 500 parents who were delinquent on their child support payments. These payment are important in providing for the wellbeing of children and those who skip child support payment should be held accountable. If you are owed child support from a non-custodial parent, it might be wise to consult with a New York family law attorney to explore your options.

Source: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services News Release, "OIG Launches Child Support Enforcement Web Page: Introduces 'most wanted' list of deadbeat parents," Jan. 17, 2012

Categories: Child Support

Get Over a Century of Experience on Your Side

Our attorneys have handled cases in more than half of the counties in the state. Contact us today to see how we can help you!

Send Us a Message
Hudson Valley Lawyer

Poughkeepsie Address:

Michael R. Varble & Associates, P.C.
Hudson Valley Lawyer
40 Garden Street,
Suite 301,

Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
View Map
Local Phone: 845.363.6500

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.